Hot Student Stories

What do I need to acquire a student visa to Australia?

I was recently accepted to a college in Australia and among the requirements is a student visa. Since I am undertaking a degree program should I just apply for a general visa or is there a specific one I should get? I need guidance on how I should start the application process. I need to know when and where to apply for the visa to study in Australia. I also need tips that would ensure a smooth application process and any other requirements needed for me to pursue international studies abroad.

Carlton Burgess

in Study Abroad

1 answer

1 answer

Derrick Little on January 4, 2018

Australia is among the countries with the best education system in the world. I completed both my bachelor’s and master’s in Australia and graduated with impressive results. Since I was not a native of Australia, I was also required to apply for a visa for students like any international student. The type of visa you apply for depends on the degree course you are going to pursue. In your case you should apply for the higher education sector visa; this is suitable for students undertaking masters or bachelors on a full time basis. The financial and language capabilities are only tested in students from certain countries, so this will depend on your country. I would also recommend that you immediately start the application process since it might take some time. Use the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website to apply for your visa; this is the best visa application site for students planning on studying in Australia. You could also visit a visa facilitation service office where agents could help you with the application process for a fee. The fee could be paid with a credit card via their online service. Before you start the application process acquire a temporary document stating your reason for being in Australia and let it specify ‘studying’ as the primary reason for you to stay there. The document should state the situation in your home country, your immigration background, the value of your course and whether you are a minor. Take an English language test as a formality to prove your language skills. In case you would like to undertake part time jobs you can apply for a visa that allows you to work at least forty hours. There are also additional documents you must have to be able to pursue international studies in abroad. These include:

  • Your complete visa application form
  • Both original and copy of your passport
  • The acceptance letter from your university, that is confirmation of enrollment
  • Proof of your financial capability to sustain your education like your accommodation or airfares approximately 1,400 AUD on a monthly basis
  • An Australian approved health insurance cover valid for the time you will be there
  • A criminal record certification
  • Your English proficiency results like TOEFL, IELTS or CAE
  • A receipt proving you paid the application fee of 960 AUD and 685 AUD for students above and below 18 years respectively.

Caleb Jenkinsa year ago

I am currently a Master’s student also studying in Australia and used the same process for applying for my visa and was successful. Additionally you could also ensure you are applying for the suitable visa for the period of your course. On your arrival in Australia contact the High Commission and give information about yourself. This entails your name, the institution you will be studying at and its details. State the course you will pursue and how long you will be in the country. After the completion of your program if you intend to work in the country, you could apply for a temporary graduate visa. It includes the graduate work stream, which will enable you to work in the country for at least three years in any field in the skilled professional list, and the post study stream, which is valid for four years and the working holiday visa maximum for at least a year.

Add you answer