Hot Student Stories

What are the requirements for getting an educator’s license from Minnesota Department of Education?

I currently hold an educators license offered by New Jersey Department of Education. However, my family and I have recently moved to Minnesota. Therefore, I think that my license is invalid here. Not to blow my own horn, but I was one of the great educators in the state. I am passionate about student education. I would, therefore, like to get a license here to continue doing what I love to do.

What are the terms of obtaining a license from Minnesota Department of Education?

Naomi Doyle

in Higher Education

1 answer

1 answer

Jodi Brooks on April 19, 2018

As from July 1, 2018, the Minnesota Education Department will start issuing licenses using the Tiered Licensure design. Below is information about the present requirements. In these conditions, I will incorporate all the known proposals as at now.  Please confirm the same on Minnesota educator requirements to keep abreast with all the latest developments.

  • Testing requirements

Like all teachers in Minnesota, you prove that you are a competent professional and a great educator by taking tests in writing, reading, pedagogy, math and their fields of expertise. The PELSB is responsible for supervising the requirements for teacher testing as stipulated in the Minnesota statute. This board always analyzes and monitors the testing process. The following are the qualifying scores for each of the tests offered by PELSB.

    • For MTLE Content Exams and Pedagogy- Qualifying Scores are > 240 for all the subtests taken.
    • For Basic Skills (Writing, Reading, and Math)- Click on passing scores to get a more detailed outlook.

Teachers with some disability can access alternative testing procedures.

  • License and permission categories requirements

In this section you will obtain information on the types of licenses as well as the allowed permissions:

Click here to access the criteria for each Tier.

Apart from the requirements for each Tier application, you will get information on:

    • Lifetime Substitute requirements
    • Out-of-Field Permission
    • Substitute Licenses and
    • Innovative Program licenses
  • Licensing requirements for applicants from outside the state.

This section will be particularly useful to you since you just moved to Minnesota and possessed a license from the New Jersey Dep. of Education. As from July 1, 2018, all educators from outside the state will have to pass board –adopted guidelines and exams in pedagogy before getting a Tier 3 license. As a teacher from outside Minnesota, you can apply for a Tier 2 license before passing your examination if you get a job offer from a school district.

If you finish a teacher preparation program outside the state, you can get a Tier 3 license if your preparation course included training on your specific field of expertise equivalent to 3 months as per the Minnesota requirements for issuing of initial permits, qualifying content, and pedagogy tests.

Since you possess a license from New Jersey, you can get a Tier 3 if your license is right and you have at least two years’ experience in providing education for students.

Add you answer