Hot Student Stories

How many credits do you have to have at a community college for a pell grant?

Theresa Perry

in Student Loans

1 answer

1 answer

Rodney Fox on May 18, 2019

I will try to answer your question, but I'm not quite sure exactly what you are asking: If you are wondering if you must have college credits before being awarded with a Pell grant Grant, the answer is no. A high school graduate entering college for the first time, you may be awarded a Pell Grant. If you're wondering how many credits you have to carry for each semester that you are awarded a Pell Grant, then that depends on your enrollment status-if the number of courses you are enrolled in each semester in addition to the credit hours sufficient to be considered as a full-time or part-time. Both full-time and part-time students can be awarded Pell Grants. I don't think that the students less than part-time status to qualify. Finally, if you have too much credit earlier, as it has already been awarded a Bachelor's degree in another area of study, then you do not qualify for a Pell Grant. The Pell Grant awards are based primarily on financial need. More specifically, Pell Grants are awarded based on the student meeting the requirements in four categories: Financial Need: If your financial situation is above or below a certain level - the calculation is called the "Expected Family Contribution" and is based on their income and, in some cases, depending on your age, whether or not you still live at home, etc, your parent's income. Enrollment Status: Whether or not your course load/credit hours puts you in the state of full or part-time. I don't think that students carrying less than a part-time course load to qualify for federal student aid. Here is where the "credits" that come in. In general, the two years of the institution, a student requires approximately 72 credit hours to graduate with an Associate's Level Degree. The curriculum is based on the concept that if a student takes a full course load, which will complete the curriculum and graduate in two years. If you take less than a full-time course load, you may still be eligible for a Pell Grant, but the funds extends above the amount of time it takes to complete your program of study, based on the number of credit hours you take each semester. In other words, as long as the calculation of the income remains the same throughout your college career, you will receive the same amount of money from your scholarship if you complete two years of the degree in two years as a full-time student or in four years as a part-time student-in that case, the funds only stretch for the longer period of time. Attendance: Whether or not the student attends school for a full academic year. Examples include if you change your enrollment status at mid-year, or drop out for a semester; or, if you have already completed some of your credits at another school and left, move, etc, and you really only need a couple of additional credits by enrolling in another school in order to complete your degree requirements, you will not be eligible to receive more grant money-especially if some of the courses you are taking at your current school, are courses you have to repeat because you do not qualify for the transfer of your institution. Enrollment Requirements: how much the tuition fees and other costs are in their particular school. Obviously, if you attend a school with a tuition that is lower than another school, you will not receive as much money as someone with the same financial need who attends the more expensive school. The financial aid counselors in their community, the university must be able to provide much more detailed information, and explain what financial assistance is available for students attending that school. There are also a lot of information in the Department of Education website, in the financial aid section: in addition, the description of a "community college" is not entirely clear, but generally that term indicates a college that offers Two-Year Associate Level of A. A. and A. S. degrees. Other colleges and universities are Four Year Institutions that award Bachelor Level B. A. and B. S. degrees. Both types of colleges and universities, can offer Pell Grants, if they have met the requirements to participate in the Federal Student Aid programs. Many of the students who are seeking Four-Year Bachelor's degree to take their first and second year of courses at a community college, because the tuition is generally more affordable, and in most cases, the quality of the education is comparable. This is not always the case, however, and you need to determine your school's accreditation status, transfer of credits policy in the Four Years of the Institution with respect to the community of the university, together with the determination of if the community college meets the other criteria necessary for an institution to offer Federal Financial Aid packages, such as the Pell Grant and the Stafford Loan. I am fortunate to live in an area where the community college has an excellent reputation and works well with the state university system, so that in most cases, all of the hours of credit--and the financial aid packages-transfer when you move into your junior year at one of the universities in the state system. There are also some schools in my community that do not meet the requirements for offering Federal Student Aid, and some of them are accredited by the dubious accrediting agencies. To get a quality education (as in, getting your money's worth-you want your education to give you much more than an attractive certificate to hang on your wall) it is always a good idea to check out a lot more that a school's ability to provide financial aid. The Princeton Review is an excellent source of information to investigate and compare all the aspects of the different schools-including everything from the price of the course to the size of the campus to the qualifications and experience of the teaching staff to the student life to the existence or non-existence of a debate club or a basketball team, or good food in the cafeteria...the Princeton Review will give you information on almost anything you can think of that you might want to know about a school, and that site is: education is one of the few things that no one can take away from you. The best of luck in their efforts.

Add you answer