Hot Student Stories

How do I know if I qualify for a UK student visa?

Recently, one of my former high school classmates asked me if I ever wished to study in the United Kingdom. Truly, the UK is one of the countries, I have longed to study and live in. I need to know if I qualify for a UK student visa. Also, explain to me the type of student visa that I will need to obtain in order to study in the UK. Moreover, please explain how an Ireland student visa differs from a UK study visa. Provide entry requirements for both UK’s and Ireland’s student visa work permit. Finally, I would like to know the procedure for UK student visa application.

Samantha Stevenson

in Study Abroad

1 answer

1 answer

Melissa Norris on January 26, 2018

Studying at a UK university/college will be one of the most amazing moments of your life. All you need to do is to ensure that you are prepared with all the documents needed for application into a university or a college as well as the documents needed for visa application. All students who wish to obtain UK student visas must first of all ensure that they have applied for admission into a recognized institution. The admission application procedure will require you to search foryour preferred course in the UK course database. Depending on your academic qualification and budget, apply for three or more institutions and courses of your choice.

The application for a UK student visa is a simple but strict process. The United Kingdom uses points-based visa application system. The points systems are designed to make the application system transparent and objective. You will be required to gain 40-points so as to be eligible for a UK study visa. This will include 30-points awarded through being offered a letter of acceptance into an accredited learning institution. International students entering the UK as adults are supposed to have Tier 4 – adult student visa. Alternatively any student wishing to partake in post-16 studies will be issued with Tier 4 – adult student visa. This type of visa is flexible and will enable you to work part –time (for up to 20 hours per week) and participate in any study programs lasting for more than six months. You can apply for your study visa either online or through paper application.

During the application process, you should submit copies of your letter of acceptance, two passport size photos, copy of your passport, prove that you can pay for your accommodation and basic necessities as well as details of your spouse and other family members. You will also need to pass through medical examination, pass English proficiency tests and have a certificate of good conduct from your home government. The minimum amount of money you will need to have for other expenses besides tuition fees is €7,000, which is equivalent to US$9,400.

Ireland student visas are meant for foreign students wishing to study in Ireland. If you have a passport from the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you will not need a visa to study in Ireland, England or anywhere within the UK, although you can still get a visa if you still need it. Anyone who is Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens should apply for a visa to study in any university in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

If you intend to study in Ireland on a program certified by the Internationalization Register, the local immigration officer will award a ‘stamp number 2.’ All study visas with ‘stamp number 2’, will quality to be student visa work permits and enable students to work part-time up to 20 hours every week and up to 40 hours every week during holiday.

Kurt Pricea year ago

The information above regarding studying in the United Kingdom and Ireland is comprehensive and provides valuable details for students aspiring to further their studies in these two countries. Note that, regardless of whether or not you need a student visa for United Kingdom or Ireland, provided you are a non-EEA national, you will be required to report to a local immigration officer upon your arrival into the two countries. You should do this in the district you intend to study in order to be given permission to reside in your area of choice.

If you intend to study in Ireland for a period that is less than three months, you will have to apply for type ‘C Study Visa’. For courses lasting more than three months you should apply for type ‘D Study Visa’. To obtain your Irish study permit visa you will require passing TOEFL or IELTS tests. You should also be able to provide proof of private medical insurance and an agreement indicating that you will return to your country of origin upon completing your course. The standard visa processing cost is US$80(€60) and US$135(€100) for a single-entry and multiple entries visas respectively.

Add you answer