Hot Student Stories

How can I gain teaching bursaries in the UK?

I want to take some teaching courses in the UK and I need to know about teaching bursaries there. I need to know how to apply for a bursary because I have never studied in the UK before and I do not know the procedure for applying for a school bursary.

William Cain

in Student Loans

1 answer

1 answer

Bethany Evans on August 23, 2018

There is indeed financial aid from the government of the United Kingdom available to undergraduates and postgraduates to enable them to afford the fees of their teacher training.

If you are an undergraduate student, you can apply to get financial help for the following full or part-time teacher training courses: initial teacher training (ITT) – that includes early years – and school-centered initial teacher training (SCITT). If you are a postgraduate student, you can apply for bursaries for teaching for the following full or part-time teacher training courses: ITT – this bursary does not include early years –, Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) and SCITT.

If you are a postgraduate, you may be interested to know that you can be eligible for a training bursary from the Department for Education (DfE). You can read about the financial offer for math, as well as the number of bursaries for other subjects, and further information about this funding on the website of the Department for Education of the government of the United Kingdom at  

If you are under 25 and you want to know how to apply for bursaries, it is possible for you to apply as an “estranged student” if you have no contact with your parents or if you support yourself. It is likewise important to know that the application process to get a bursary is different if you are a student from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Since you are not from the UK ( ), you need to know that to apply for school bursaries in England, you may be eligible if: you have a “settled status” there (no restrictions on how long you can stay), you normally live in England or you have been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course, you are from an EU country. Nationals who are not from the United Kingdom must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of their course (it is usually the first day of September, January, April or July).

Charles McAlear2 years ago

I think that knowing how to apply for bursaries is as necessary as knowing how to apply for university because those applications forms are usually similar. If we want to complete our studies without any financial hassle, the best that we can do is to apply for financial aid as early as possible. It is true that the English government has a nice website where students can create an account to apply for loans in a simple way. There is also a phone number if you are not familiar with computers, but the indications on the website are clear and I do not think that many students have trouble with their registration process. It does not take long to create your account, though there are many questions to answer. I only know the English website, but I think that the Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland sites are similar.  

Caroline Campbell2 years ago

I also searched for information about teaching bursaries when I was a new student. When I knew that it was possible to apply for up to 9 months after the start of the academic year for my course, I was happy, but I preferred not to wait and I applied as early as I could to be able to focus on my classes and stop worrying about the lack of money to pay my studies. I did not know how to apply for a bursary, but it was quite easy. 

Add you answer