Hot Student Stories

How can a student finance Masters Degree in the U.S.?

Getting your Bachelors Degree is only the beginning for many students. Many people decide to continue their studies and get the post-graduate education. But how can a student finance Masters Degree? Does the government provide the same offers as for the undergraduate students? Can you get a tuition grant for your further studies? Are scholarships an option at all? I have great grades I wonder whether they will be enough for financial aid.

Unfortunately, loans are not an option for me right now. So, I appreciate any student finance advice from you. Do you have any experience in the field?

Dana Keller

in Student Loans

1 answer

1 answer

Victoria Fowler on April 10, 2018

How can students finance Master’s degrees? Basically, the process is almost the same as an undergraduate financing. Post-graduate education in the U.S. is quite expensive. Were it more affordable, more students would continue their studies. However, a big part of students does not pay the full price for their studies at all. Usually, they are supported by their institutions or private organizations that are interested in students’ research or future employment. The tuition prices differ greatly, so you cannot determine exactly how much post-graduate education costs. A pleasant surprise is that abroad students do not have to pay more than Americans. This approach attracts many people from other countries to the U.S.A.

First of all, if you want to save some money on studying, apply for universities in your state to pay lower fees. This is the easiest way to save money from the start. It is especially beneficial if you live in a state where the students’ competition is not high so you definitely know you’ll enroll.

Tuition grants are also a great option. They can be acquired both form the government and private entities.

If you already have a grant, you know how the system works—the rules are the same. If not, you have nothing to worry about. To apply for a grant, you don’t need to do anything impossible. You just have to be eligible and send your application before the deadline. Depending on the type of grant you choose, eligibility requirements can be different. With so many states and universities, it is hard to list all options. I can give you a useful link that shows many decent post-graduate financing options: Just take a look and carefully research those offers that suit you the most.

As for the student financial advice, I can recommend you such an option as US student loans. There are so many companies willing to borrow you money that the choices are endless. Of course, this option is not as interesting as grants and scholarships (which you can also get, by the way), but when you have no choice, this help is also appreciated. A direct Plus loan is what most post-graduate students choose. There is no set amount of money these loans give you. Instead, you can ask to get a full cost of your education. Interest rates are renewed each year. To be eligible to get the loan, you have to be a US citizen, study your course with at least 50% intensity (part-time programs are not an option), and have a good credit history.

Brian Warner2 years ago

US citizens have many options to get help for their studies. Foreign students have different options. Still, they have plenty of possibilities for financial aid. Tuition grants, for examples, are what everybody can get. I’m not sure that all third-party companies welcome foreign students. But most of them surely do.

There are those scholarship and assistantship options that are common for all students. In addition, there are those offers that are meant specifically for foreign students. There are certainly a few grants and associations that support international additions. The most notable of them is Fulbright Foreign Student Program. It is a governmental initiative meant to unite the U.S. and other countries in the pursuit of knowledge. It covers about 150 countries and mostly deals with post-graduate studies. You can get financing for a year.

Add you answer