Hot Student Stories

Can the children of undocumented immigrant parents also attend regular colleges?

I have an intention to pursue a bachelors’ in Economics. However, my situation is quite different.  My parents moved to the US when I was just a little less than a year old. They are undocumented, which makes me undocumented too. Thanks to the law, I have attended my elementary and high school without any problems. And now, I hear, the children of immigrant parents with no legal records rarely get accepted into the US colleges and varsities. My problem is, what can be done about the education of immigrant children like us? Can such immigrant children in school be flagged and kicked out?

Megan Page

in Study Abroad

1 answer

1 answer

Bethany Evans on March 23, 2018

During my undergrad years at Stanford and in my first employment after graduation, I guided various undocumented secondary school students. Most of these students think that the education of children immigrants comes to a halt after high school. This is probably the idea that they got into your head. The truth is; they are wrong.

While there are extra hindrances that make pursuing a school training more troublesome, I'm glad to state that I know many undocumented citizens who have actually gone through the whole college system.

Usually, undocumented students are those school-aged foreigners who got into the country without documents or have overstayed their visas.  They are regularly called the 1.5 age, as they have spent a larger part of their lives in the United States. Albeit exactly 1.5 age students discover their approach to lawful status, many are undocumented.

If you want to go to college, go ahead. Many colleges will admit you. Only do not lie or distort the status of your citizenship on your college application. Leave out the sections requiring you to fill in tracking numbers like the SSN.

In your application exposition, don't hesitate to talk about your movement status and circumstance. Schools need to catch wind of deterrents that you've needed to overcome, yet don't give those snags a chance to characterize you. The reason for the application exposition is for the college to become acquainted with you and show signs of improvement feeling of how you can add to the school's group

The Federal Education and Privacy Act (FERPA) protect the records of immigrant children in schools. Any information you divulge to your counselors remains confidential.

Although state laws may change, DACA and DREAM Act remain constant. With DACA, you can even get a work permit and a two-year protection from deportation.

You can also talk to your counselor, see your options and get direction. But in whatever circumstance you are not obliged to disclose your immigration status nor that of your migrant parents.

Do inquire about on universities that offer help for undocumented students. For instance, UCLA and UC Berkeley have bolster programs that give administrations and guidance to undocumented students.

Also, read through Repository of Resources for Undocumented Students. It has data about state laws. Likewise, it has data about grants you might be qualified for and associations that can offer you support and counsel.

While you may have more obstacles to overcome, moving on from school is conceivable and will probably give you a superior life and future. Good luck!

Kurt Price2 years ago

I am an undocumented immigrant, I’ve gone through school as an immigrant child, and I’m working. However, I am on my way to applying for residency status.  Thus, it's possible for you to attend college. If you have the passion and the brains, why not go through with it? As said above, you are protected by some federal laws specifically ensuring the safety of the records of immigrant students in school.

Make yourself focused for school affirmation. Get decent evaluations, take school preparation classes, perform well on your state-administered tests, and attempt to take an interest in extracurricular exercises. Since your migration status may restrain your alternatives, you ought to do everything you can to give yourself the most open doors. Furthermore, a portion of the grants that you're qualified for will probably go to high accomplishing students.

Contact confirmations officers and money related guide instructors at the colleges you're keen on going to. Commonly, they'll endeavor to be useful, and they will not disclose your migration status. They can advise you on their budgetary guide alternatives for undocumented students and guide you on how to complete your college's application particularly concerning inquiries concerning citizenship and residency.

Add you answer