Hot Student Stories

Can I get an accredited masters in education online?

I have been working as a teacher in pre-primary classes for the last two years with a bachelor’s degree in education. In fact, when I joined this profession, my intention was not to teach small children but to find some administrative roles like that of a principal. I have some friends who did their masters degree in spanish and masters degree in public health online. Is there anyone who can help me find a masters in education that can be pursued online? And I don’t want to face problems after the completion of the course. So please suggest a course that is recognized.

Frank Nichols

in Higher Education

1 answer

1 answer

Chelsea Hayes on April 13, 2018

Well, from your question, I understood four important points: firstly, you possess a bachelor’s in education that you gained through regular on-campus course; secondly, you are looking for a master’s in education that will help you get administrative job in school; thirdly, you want to take the course online without any disruption in your present employment; and finally, you want a course that is fully recognized by all the governing bodies so that you do not waste your precious time and money.

Now, let’s see what recognition helps your course be approved by regional education-governing bodies. There are six regional accrediting organizations in the U.S under the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). They are ACCJC for areas including California, Hawaii, Territories of Guam and American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Republic of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of the Marshall Islands; HLC for Arizona, Arakansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota West Virginia, Wisconsin etc; MSCHE for Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, etc; NEASC-CIHE for Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont etc; SACSCOC for Kentucky, Florida, Louisiana, North and South Carolina, Texas etc; WSCUC for California, Hawaii, and Pacific Basin; and NCACS. All these accrediting agencies have equal value and reputation and if your degree is accredited by any of them, you will not face problems with any governing body.

Now let’s take a look at a few master’s degree programs which will help you become the principal of a school. The first course I could find for you comes from the renowned Johns Hopkins University. The university offers a Master of Science in Education program with the specialization school administration and supervision. This course can be completed in an asynchronous way in 1-3 years time. To get the degree, you will have to complete 33-39 credits and the course will cost you about $840. This course is accredited by MSCHE.

I found another program at the University of Central Florida. The course is named Master of Arts in Educational Leadership and it is accredited by SACSCOC. This two-year course requires you to complete at least 30 credits and you can pursue it online in an asynchronous way. Though it costs only $327 per credit hour within the state, it can be expensive if you are out of state student. At Michigan State University, you will get Masters of Arts in Education in P-12 School and Postsecondary Leadership, and the University of South Carolina offers Master of Education in Educational Administration.

Hasn’t it become clear that you can get a fully accredited course online including master’s in Spanish and master’s in public health? Now go ahead and enroll in your dream course.

Noel Byrd2 years ago

That is a really impressive list! There is one thing you have not mentioned that deserves attention. That is that the master’s in education administration offered by the University of South Carolina is not for everyone. You can join this course only if you have South Carolina teaching certification. That means if you are an out of state student, this course is not probably for you. Secondly, to enroll in this specialization, you should have at least three years of teaching experience. Moreover, the course involves some field education requirements as well. So make sure that you communicate with the department properly before enrolling in it. I think a better option for you will be the University of Dayton. They have a Master of Science in Education program with the specialization Leadership for Educational Systems. This course is regionally accepted by NCACS and the beauty of this course is that it is wholly online. In addition, you can join this course if you have a valid teaching license and experience in teaching is not a must.

Add you answer