Hot Student Stories

Can i as a custodial parent petition the SC court to order child support to contine past age 18 so the child may attend college If so How with out a lawyer?

Caroline Campbell

in Student Loans

1 answer

1 answer

Blair Lewis on July 27, 2018

South Carolina is not especially easy to find this.Almost everything I can find says that the support is only forminor children (i.e. those under 18 years of age), but the South CarolinaBar the web site says "you can continue under specialcircumstances" without explicitly spelling out what the specialcircumstances. One of them is almost certain that if the child ismentally disabled to the point that they are incompetent to takecare of themselves, even as an adult, but if the child is planningon attending the university, that's probably not the case. I have added a link to a specification document of how to go about thechild support modification procedure, which includes information onhow to get a lawyer. Keep in mind that while you do not need a lawyer for would dothe modification of yourself, you will have to pay a fee of $150 to do so,so that you can be better, at least, speak with a lawyer first... there is an option for low-income legal aid in the document, and probably will not cost you anything at all, at least find out ifsuch a modification is even possible.

Add you answer