Hot Student Stories

Can anyone please tell me how to get a student visa?

I have successfully completed my bachelors and I have plans to move to the USA and take a business management course at Cornell University. However, I have been wondering how to get a student visa. What are the USA student visa requirements? Does it take long to get an American student visa? I have searched the internet, but it's not really explaining it clearly. Too much information crammed in a very small space. Could someone please tell me all there is about a students visa in simple logical steps?

Dana Keller

in Study Abroad

1 answer

1 answer

Bethany Evans on January 31, 2018

A student visa process for an international student is just the same. I have met friends here at the university who come from other places and we all followed the same process of getting a student visa.

I agree that although the internet provides such information, finding a simple brief explanation works much better. For me, I had to learn the hard way.

The U.S.A Government offers three student visa types which are; F, M and J.

• F Visa is for studying at an authorized U.S. university or college
• J Visa is for interest in an exchange program, inclusive of secondary school and college study.
• M Visa is for non-scholarly or professional training or studying in the U.S.A.

Before you apply for any of the student visas in America, you should apply and be
acknowledged by a U.S.A establishment of advanced education which is ensured by the SEVP (Student Exchange and Visitor Program).

The most important thing is to make sure that you have a good source of funds arranged for your study. You must prove beyond reasonable doubt that you can support yourself for the entire period you will be studying. If you have a scholarship or a sponsor, the better for you. Then. Be ready with your passport before you start your USA student visa application process. Also make sure you meet all the US student visa requirements, before commencing.

I have broken down the steps simply:

• Before you apply for the visa ensure you are admitted to a SEVP confirmed college. Cornell is SEVP accredited so, if you have already received the letter of acceptance, use it to set off your process.
• Once you get accepted, pay the SEVIS charges and acquire I-901. Keep this document very safe. It's your first immigration document.
• As soon as you pay this charge, you will be entered into the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS for easier tracking during your stay in the USA
• Get an I-20 from Cornell. Once you get your I-20 the time has come to apply for your visa. Go online and fill the non-migration visa application form, otherwise called DS - 160. Get a digital passport photo; you will upload it when applying for the visa online.
• Once finished, print and keep the DS 160 form, particularly the barcode page
• Schedule a visa interview. Consulate does not make an appointment for you. Once you fill the DS 160, you need to pay a fee, and then schedule the interview.
• Pay the non-refundable visa application-handling fee. Charges may vary as per nation and range between $160 – $240.
• New Students – can be issued up to 120 days ahead of time of study commencement date. However, you can’t enter the US until 30 days to your course commencement date.

Caleb Jenkins2 years ago

That was a really simplified process. As you can see, it is not so hard. However, it may take long. Therefore, begin your America student visa preparations and application early enough. Since you are going for a masters degree, you will have to apply for an F, J or M visa. Either way, they follow the same process.

If you have already been accepted at Cornell, then start your American student visa application process immediately. Once acknowledged at a SEVP-affirmed school, you will get a Form I-20 from the school’s foreign student office to show when you lodge your student visa application. As we like to say, its as easy as 1, 2, 3.

1) Complete the application

2) Pay the expenses

3) Arrange the meeting and biometrics arrangements

During the interview, the main documents needed are the acceptance letter, international ID, CEAC standardized identification page (DS-160), SEVIS fee payment receipt, I-20 form for F and M visas or DS-2019 for J visas. with that you are good to go.

Add you answer