Hot Student Stories
top-5-grammar-and-spelling-checkers-to-rock-in-2019

Algae uses all the energy in sunlight to perform photosynthesis. Please select the best answer from the choices provided T F

Ashley Howard

in Biology

follow
followin
1 answer
2 views

1 answer


Kaitlin Dean on December 17, 2018

The correct answer is False.The energy efficiency of conversion of solar energy into biochemical energy through the photosynthesis in plants is usually around 3 to 6%. The absorbed light that is not converted to metabolic energy is essentially dissipated as heat, with a small fraction (1% to 2%), is re-emitted by the chlorophyll fluorescence in a longer wavelength - thus, more red as the incident light. The typical decomposition of global energy losses during the process of photosynthesis by plants on land can be summarized as follows:* 47% of the incident energy can not be absorbed by the chlorophyll, whose active domain covers the wavelengths between 400 and 700 nm, which leaves only 53% of the incident energy; * 30% of the energy received in the wavelength range of 400 to 700 nm does not reach the reaction centers in the chloroplasts, leaving only 37% of the incident energy; * 24% of the received energy in the reaction centers is lost by the fact that only the fraction of the energy corresponding to 700 nm of each photon is absorbed, the supplement of energy corresponding to the lowest wavelength that they are not being used, leaving only 28.2% of the incident energy; * 68% of the energy absorbed by the reaction centers is lost during the conversion of the glucose, leaving only 9% of the incident energy; * 35 to 45% of the glucose thus produced is consumed by photorespiration, which leaves at least 5 to 6% of the incident energy.


Add you answer